10 most famous Tiktokers
OG TikTokers since day 1
The first few users of TikTok became famous through a combination of viral content, creative videos, and the platform’s algorithm that promotes engaging and popular content. Here’s an overview of how the early TikTok users gained fame:
- Musical.ly and Douyin: TikTok’s origins can be traced back to two separate apps, Musical.ly and Douyin. Musical.ly was a popular lip-syncing app launched in 2014, primarily targeting the US market. Douyin, launched by Chinese tech giant ByteDance in 2016, gained significant traction in China. In 2018, ByteDance acquired Musical.ly and merged it with Douyin to create TikTok, facilitating its global expansion .
- Music and Powerful Algorithm: TikTok’s success lies in its use of music and its powerful recommendation algorithm. Users have access to a vast database of songs, filters, and movie clips to create engaging content. The algorithm analyzes user preferences and behavior to curate a personalized feed on the “For You” page, showing content it believes users will enjoy and potentially go viral .
- Viral Trends and Challenges: Many early TikTok users gained fame through participating in viral trends and challenges. These trends, often accompanied by specific songs or dances, spread rapidly through the platform, with users creating their own unique takes on the trend. By participating in popular trends, users had the opportunity to be discovered by a wider audience .
- Creativity and Uniqueness: TikTok encourages creativity and individuality, allowing users to showcase their talents and creativity in short-form videos. Users who displayed unique and entertaining content that resonated with the audience had a higher chance of gaining fame. Whether it was dance routines, comedy skits, beauty tutorials, or unique storytelling, innovative content creators stood out and attracted a following .
- Community Building: TikTok’s community-driven nature played a crucial role in the fame of early users. Various communities formed around shared interests, content genres, and identities. Users could connect with like-minded individuals and gain visibility within their respective communities. This allowed for niche content creators to develop a dedicated fan base, even if they didn’t have millions of followers .
- User Engagement and Interaction: Unlike some other social media platforms, TikTok’s algorithm places emphasis on the quality of content rather than the number of followers. Engaging content had the potential to reach a wider audience, regardless of the creator’s follower count. This encouraged users to focus on creating high-quality and entertaining videos to attract more engagement .
10 most famous tiktokers as of July 2023
Charli D’Amelio is the reigning queen of TikTok and became the most followed TikToker in 2020. She is known for her dance videos and currently has almost 150 million followers.
Khabane Lame (khaby.lame):
Khabane Lame, also known as TikTok King, gained popularity by creating funny videos that mock complicated life hacks. He won the hearts of TikTok users with his actions and expressions.
Bella Poarch (bellapoarch):
Bella Poarch gained fame on TikTok for her lip-syncing video that became the most liked video on the platform. She is the third most followed TikToker after Charli D’Amelio and Khabane Lame.
Addison Rae (addisonre):
Addison Rae rose to fame on TikTok for her dance videos. She has since expanded her career and landed the lead role in the Netflix film “He’s All That.”
Zach King (zachking):
Zach King is an illusionist who gained popularity on TikTok for his mind-bending videos showcasing digital sleight of hand. His videos give the illusion of movie magic through editing techniques.
Kimberly Loaiza (kimberly.loaiza):
Kimberly Loaiza is a Mexican influencer and singer who is popular on TikTok. She is the 8th most followed TikToker in the world and also has a famous YouTube channel with 22 million subscribers.
Dixie D’Amelio (dixiedamelio):
Dixie D’Amelio gained prominence on TikTok shortly after her sister, Charli D’Amelio, became popular. She is known for her content in collaboration with other TikTokers and has a significant following.
Karol G is a Colombian singer-songwriter known for her reggaeton and Latin trap music. She has a loyal following of 43 million on TikTok, where she often posts short dance and lip-sync videos to promote her own music.
Riyaz Ali, an Indian creator, has an impressive following of 45 million on TikTok, despite not posting since 2020. He gained popularity by posting lip-sync videos in Hindi and has transitioned to posting more on Instagram as well.
Jojo Siwa gained fame as a reality TV star on “Dance Moms” and has transitioned to being a TikTok star with 45 million followers. She often reflects on her time on the show and recreates routines she performed.
How you can become famous on Tiktok
The combination of viral trends, creative content, community building, and the power of TikTok’s recommendation algorithm contributed to the early users’ rise to fame on the platform.
Want to learn more ? Reach out to the experts in our team for hashtag , music , product recommendation and reach out to a large community of content creators on our platform
 BBC: TikTok: The story of a social media giant. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53640724
 BBC: How TikTok changed the world in 2020. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20201216-how-tiktok-changed-the-world-in-2020